Saturday, March 3, 2012

Back in Business

"It must be weird," my brother said to me. "You go from 0% to 100% back to 0%."

I scratched my days' old beard growth and thought to myself, I need a job. It is the sad truth of this existence I lead. When I am working, I am non-stop for about 3-4 months. But then when I'm not working, days go by without me even realizing it. It's the weekend? Oh cool.

I've been out of the workforce for almost 2 months now, and while the first couple days - weeks, I'll admit - were sorely needed and gratefully welcomed, the time since has been agonizing. I've beaten every video game I own, I'm through Season 1 of Breaking Bad, I've begun writing again, anything to occupy my time.

And finally my patience paid off. As of Thursday, I know now that I have a job on the horizon. While I obviously can't go into specifics about what the job is, I hear it's going to be a lot of night shoots (yikes), on a lot of rooftops (eesh), and my "weekend" will be Wednesday-Thursday (ugh). But it will be a break from this current monotony, and I welcome it with open arms.

The job does not start for another few weeks, but the prospect of employment has galvanized me to become a more productive person. I've reconnected in the past couple of days with old work friends over lunch, drinks, what have you. I've been boning up on my geopolitical acumen - watching the daily gamut of political punditry unravel unfold on my TV and computer.

And last night, I ventured out to Columbia, to catch the penultimate Ivy League game between Harvard and the Lions. Harvard's looking to snap a 65-year NCAA tournament drought, but Columbia was itching for an upset. In front of a packed-house crowd, which included such luminaries as Spike Lee and Jeremy Lin, Harvard pulled out the win, showcasing dunks and overall gameplay uncharacteristic of the Ivy League games I used to watch.

So I'm back, o blogosphere. With so much to look forward to - spring, baseball, March Madness (con Harvard, fingers crossed), and a job - I'm breaking out of hibernation. Unfortunately, so is the mouse that lives in our apartment. But I'll leave that for another day, I've got too much going for me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment