Friday, June 11, 2010

Welcome

It seems like everyone's doing it, right? So why not me...

This is my first time blogging, but I must say it's an intriguing idea. As a native Alabamian, I feel like I'm caught in a reverse "My Cousin Vinny" situation. "I've heard of lox. I just never actually seen a loc before." I had grown up to hate New York—the home of the Yankees is all I needed to hear—but lo and behold, here I am, about 10 days out from moving there for the next two years of my life. Why? Well, in short, because I got a job. I applied for and got one of six spots in the Directors' Guild of America's Assistant Director Training Program. It's a pretty sweet opportunity to work on film and television sets, for me, straight out of college. It's a dream come true...until I heard that I'll be working 70-90 hours a week (divide that by 5 days a week?...eesh). But nevertheless, my ambitions cannot be swayed. I'm moving to New York (apartment be damned!) with likely little more than a suitcase, which brings me here to this blog.

As the description indicates, this blog will include my (hopefully) daily musings, meditations, and mishaps of big city life. Hopefully I'll be dishing out more musings and meditations than I will mishaps, but, with me, there's no telling. As much as I legally can, I'll try to name-drop who I get the opportunity to work with, without giving away spoilers about the shows and movies I'm working on (and thus piss off everyone I'm working with).

As an added bonus, hopefully I'll be able to shed some light on this program for anyone who's interested. I scoured the internet for any information I could and came up fairly empty. So as best I can, I will try to give prospective DGA trainees a good idea of what to expect.

So without further ado, stay tuned for more posts as they come (probably won't update again until I'm actually in New York starting June 20). Welcome!

1 comment:

  1. i think you should change "manhattan" in your subtitle to something else. no one here actually calls it manhattan

    ReplyDelete