Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Settling In

So a lot has happened at home since the last time I updated. I mistakenly referred to my apartment as "my room" today when I was talking to my girlfriend. She rightfully called me out on it, "You're not in college anymore, that place is a home. You've got a kitchen, bathroom, living room, dining space, and laundry." The real lynchpin of the whole process was the sofa, which finally arrived two weekends ago. Funny story behind that actually. It was Saturday. "Premium Rush" has a shooting week from Wednesday to Sunday, so I was on my penultimate day of my shadowing. It was the only catered lunch of the week, staged in a school gymnasium near our set in Harlem. My phone rang and I stepped outside to take the call. It was the furniture store arranging for a delivery later in the day. While I was in a heated conversation about how I was at work and they needed to contact my non-brother roommate, Joseph Gordon-Levitt exited the gymnasium right in front of me. Realizing I had to do something in acknowledgement, I gave him a casual head up-nod without missing a step on the phone call. Joe quickly returned the nod then went on his way. My confidence restored, I negotiated the terms of our sofa's delivery.

So with the sofa in place, our living room certainly feels more homey. We've added bar stools and a rug—courtesy of my parents, a handmade Greek rug they got like 30 years ago. Plus, the Zelda Fitzgerald paintings have finally been matted, framed, and hung.

There are a couple more prints on the other side of the room. They all help to give the room some much needed dimension. We went with some "natural" pairings. We figured that the Washington Square one could pass off as Brooklyn's Grand Army Plaza, so we paired it with the Brooklyn Bridge. Times Square and Grand Central comprise the 42nd St. duo. Central Park and 5th Avenue seemed to make sense together. And then Grant's tomb is in a league of its own by the kitchen.

Speaking of the kitchen, I feel like I'm starting to settle in with the routine of feeding myself everyday. Tonight was the first time that I felt I had done an adequate job of replicating my usual evening routine when home in Alabama. Earlier in the day, I had turned some frozen ripe bananas into banana bread. So that, combined with some crackers and cheese and a glass of wine gave me the comfort foods I had desperately been craving. Plus when it came to dinner, I managed to time everything so it was all freshly warm when I set my plate on the table. Yes, it's easy when I'm free all day, and yes, it'll all change once I'm working regularly, but it's nice to realize my capabilities of living independently.

2 comments:

  1. Wait, is your non-brother roommate Joseph Gordon-Levitt? Just kidding...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Zelda paintings look great...you did a wonderful job of hanging them!

    ReplyDelete