Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Dodgy Part of Town

So it's official, we're moving to Brooklyn! I signed the lease Wednesday and my first act as a proud Brooklyner was to hop on a bus with one of my college roommates and travel up to Boston to visit some of our other college roommates. To be fair, it'll take a little while to get our new place up to speed (turn on utilities and the such).

My mom sent me this article from "The Cinematical" about Emma Watson and her boyfriend filming his band's new video. She refers to her character being in "a dodgy part of New York." From all I can glean from this music video, that dodgy area looks a whole lot like Brooklyn. I took offense to her statement, but my mom reassured me that Emma was just paying an homage to the baseball history of Brooklyn. Somehow, I doubt that.

But honestly, Brooklyn is most certainly not "dodgy." My brother and I walked around it last Sunday and, for a Sunday night, it was actually kind of happening. There's a nearby street called Smith Street that one of my brother's friends said is his favorite street in all of New York. We're also not too far from the promenade, which apparently is supposed to have a great view of Manhattan and I think the Statue of Liberty. We have a park of our own, just around the corner from our building.

Anyway, I'm heading back down to New York today after two days of catching up with old friends. My brother and I are planning to move some stuff into the new apartment when I get back, and I've been put in charge of setting up our internet tomorrow. Either tomorrow or Sunday will be the first morning where I will officially be waking up in Brooklyn.

1 comment:

  1. If you are going to live in Brooklyn, the first thing you need to know is that you are a Brooklynite...Brooklyners are from the other Brooklyn, wherever that is.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete