Sunday, July 25, 2010

Fleas and Brute Force

I feel like this weekend was the first time I really got out to experience New York. In the weeks past, I've gone out to bars with friends, but this weekend was all about checking off the to-do list. I guess it all started with Friday. My brother roped me into volunteering for the Harlem Children's Zone for its annual Summer Olympics. So we woke up at 6am to hop on the A express train bound for Washington Heights. I spent most of the day getting the kids into the Whole Foods sponsored Nutrition Zone. The sweet payoff for that job was that I got loads of free Whole Foods hummus, kiwi, and grapes. I also took part in the staff 55-meter dash. Let's just say, it was an embarrassment.

Saturday started out slow. It was a scorcher in the city, so I stayed tucked away in the apartment. But as soon as the sun went down, I met up with some friends to go see "Fuerza Bruta"—an Argentinean dance show experience. I think that's the best way I can describe it. It started out with some lights and high-powered fans creating ambience. Then a guy on a giant treadmill emerged from behind a curtain and started sprinting, ultimately plowing through a bunch of walls of cardboard boxes. Some dancing ensued from other actors, then a huge pool with scantily-clad women descended above us. More crashing through cardboard boxes when all was said and done, the place turned into a club, with the DJ laying down house tunes while rain poured from the ceiling of the theater. It was all a very bizarre experience. Luckily, I had done my research and knew to dress casually. Some of the others didn't fare as well.

Today, my non-brother roommate and I wandered over to Atlantic Avenue, where every weekend the Brooklyn Flea Market takes place. While the building itself was very nice, the contents of the flea market left a lot to be desired—mainly women's clothes and jewelry (everything oozing with hipsterness). But it was definitely something I had wanted to do.

I leave tomorrow to go home to Birmingham for a little bit (still haven't booked a return flight). It'll definitely be a much needed break for my psyche as well as my wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment