Saturday, July 17, 2010

Waking Up In Brooklyn

The day has finally come. My first morning waking up in Brooklyn. For the entire lead-up to this moment, I thought we were doing pretty well in terms of moving in. My mom had shipped us two big boxes of "stuff"—essentials really, I thought. But as soon as I started organizing things and taking stock of what we still need, I came to some shocking revelations. This is what we have:
  • Hi Def DVR box...but no TV.
  • Shower curtain...but no curtain rod.
  • Dishware...but no silverware or glasses.
  • Coffee mugs...but no coffee maker.
  • Wineglasses...but no wine.
So we're basically half-way there on everything. But all of that changes today! My brother rented a UHaul van for the afternoon, so we're going to make some runs to IKEA, Target, maybe Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I don't know, I don't know if we'll have time (*name the movie reference there). So hopefully after today, our apartment will be a bit more habitable.

I tried to make some headway on buying stuff yesterday by going to Macy's. They were having a one-day sale, but everything was still SO expensive. I was trying to get some bedding, but all the beds-in-a-bag had cheesy floral patterns or fire trucks. The only way I could just get a solid-color comforter was to get a comforter + separate shams, pillows + separate cases and shams, sheets, a bed skirt, a mattress pad all separately. The problem is every piece was running baseline at like $40 or $50. I'm sorry but I refuse to pay $50 for a single pillow case. Hopefully, Target or Bed, Bath, and Beyond can give me better options.

I did, however, find a bunch of awesome 99¢ stores near our place that could be a good option for buying glasses (I found I could buy 10 big glasses, and 8 short glasses for $16), as well as other kitcheny objects like measuring cups and stirring spoons.

Well I'm going to try to make do with our bathtub, since I can't really take a shower without flooding the whole place. That's issue #1 today, get a shower curtain rod.

Also, for those wondering, still no word on when I'll get my first gig. I emailed back and forth with the program administrator, and it seems that there are three people who still need to be placed ahead of me. I think the way it works is that we are assigned in pairs. So the first two "first-years" got assigned—to Gossip Girl and Law and Order: SVU, respectively. But now they need to assign two "second-years," then the first-year guy who drew number three, and then me! I saw Inception last night, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Christopher Nolan wants to shoot something in New York. But I'm guessing I may start work in mid- to late-August.

2 comments:

  1. Dixon - what a gift for extemporaneous writing you have. I feel like I'm right there. Keep 'em coming. Daddo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't mention the essential monogrammed stationery! Oh, but I guess I didn't send stamps...

    ReplyDelete