Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Yes, I'm aware that all my Brooklyn posts bear the tag "Home" and this one will, when Blogspot asks me to do so, bear the tag "Travel," but Alabama is still in many regards home and I'm happy to be back. I felt like I was slowly seeping into a funk for the past couple of days in Brooklyn. All the IKEA furniture had been built, my to-do list was a majority crossed off. But everyone I know is working, leaving me home alone with very little to do. So I decided now was as good a time as any to take a respite at home. And what good timing it was! I found out yesterday that No. 3 has been assigned. It's been awhile since I've posted about work, so I'm not sure if "No. 3 has been assigned" means anything to my lay readers. Basically at the beginning of the training week, we all drew numbers out of a hat. I drew No. 4. No. 1 got assigned to "Gossip Girl," No. 2 got assigned to "Law and Order: SVU." And yesterday I found out that No. 3's been assigned to "Running Wilde," a new show from the writer of "Arrested Development," Mitch Hurwitz. So I'm next up! In the meantime, I'm going to shadow a second-year DGA trainee, who's working on a film called "Premium Rush"—starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I'm pretty psyched to see a real set operate. I'll be starting that up next week when I get back.

But for now, I'm home and I love it...or at least most parts of it. I think I've reached the conclusion that when you no longer recognize a single haircutter at your lifelong haircutting place, then a little piece of home dies. That was the case today, when I went to Head Start and discovered all new faces. My haircutter was so fresh in fact, that midway through my haircut, another woman interjected and proceeded to give the woman a tutorial in cutting hair...using my head! It definitely ranks up there as one of the more bizarre moments of my life.

My mom and I also decided to take on the task of finding art for my apartment. She showed me a couple prints of watercolors done by Zelda Fitzgerald shortly after Scott died. I liked them and after a whole convoluted process, we finally emerged with seven prints. I think they'll be perfect for our apartment. They're New York, but not too New York. Plus they have the added bonus of being done by an Alabamian. And they'll hopefully be good conversation starters. Here they are:

Brooklyn Bridge

5th Avenue

Times Square

Central Park

Grant's Tomb

Washington Square

Grand Central Station

1 comment:

  1. Nice prints...your uncle will be impressed. You should drive out here and visit one night...Ask your mom about Joe's Italian;)

    ReplyDelete