Friday, July 16, 2010

First Post from Brooklyn

We are well on our way to moving into our new place! The cable guy is here this morning and just finished setting up the wireless modem. So while he finishes setting up our HD DVR box, I figured I'd send my first post from Brooklyn.

I have to admit, as much as I disparaged "waking up in Brooklyn," I am actually now eagerly awaiting my first night (and morning) in my new home. Especially when I read articles like this piece from the NY Times. Apparently Brooklyn is just chock full of free concerts. This past weekend, my brother went to Prospect Park where there was a free Roots concert going on. Next week the Beach Boys and the Monkeys are performing in the same concert and then in August Aretha Franklin is performing...twice. I actually have a bone to pick with Ms. Franklin. She was supposed to come to City Stages—a now-defunct concert series in Birmingham—a couple of years back as the headlining act. At the last minute, she bailed to perform at a bigger venue in Atlanta, leaving us with Poison (ugh) as our featured performance. Anyway, I'm psyched to take advantage of some of those concerts.

Also, my brother and I went to Williamsburg (a neighborhood in Brooklyn) to check out a furniture store that he had been reading a lot about. I had certainly heard the rumors about how hipstery Williamsburg is supposed to be, but my God I had no idea! As we were waiting for the L train at Union Square, teems of people in skinny jeans and thick-framed glasses swarmed around us. It was almost comical.

At the furniture store, we found this terrific L-shaped sectional couch that will fit perfectly in our living room. We didn't order it quite yet (so we could compare prices online), but I think it's a pretty sure thing that we'll be getting it.

Afterwards, we grabbed some dinner at a nearby El Salvadoran place. It actually reminded me a lot of Honduras. I got a frijoles con queso pupusa (tortilla stuffed with refried beans and cheese), aguacate (sliced avocados), and enchiladas de pollo (chicken enchiladas). It was muy delicioso, que rico, and all that good stuff. But above all, it made me really nostalgic to be back in Honduras to see my girlfriend again :(

No comments:

Post a Comment